Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Krissi and Her $6.99 Blue Plate Apology

MasterChef is re-airing last week’s episodes this week, so instead of the usual recaps, I’m going to write about the recent controversy to darken the MasterChef skies.

You may be aware that Krissi Biasiello made some tweets under her former (now deleted) twitter account that are clearly racist. You can read them here. Apparently, there was more, but these two tell us enough. I knew about these over a week ago thanks to a Reddit thread, yet I declined to comment on them until Krissi or MasterChef responded. That has now happened in the form of the following tweet from Krissi’s MasterChef Twitter account @MC4Krissi: “I'm very sorry for any offensive posts I've made on social media. It was never my intention to hurt or offend anyone and I deeply apologize”

My immediate reaction is that this apology is insincere and most likely manufactured by the production staff of MasterChef. Her racist tweets were obviously both hurtful and offensive. The idea that it wasn’t her intention to hurt and offend is irrelevant, not to mention dubious. If you want to apologize for something and mean it, you have to do it in your own voice (which she didn’t) and offer no defense (which she did).

Her entire persona is based upon being unapologetic. One has only to read her Twitter bio to see that. “Fatti i cazzi tuoi e baciami il culo,” it reads. Google Translate tells me that means “Get your cocks and kiss my ass.” I’m sure that’s not 100% accurate, but the message remains clear: Fuck you. I do what I want.

I’m chalking her up as a lost cause. Meanwhile, I’m curious to see how this affects MasterChef. I don’t know if they’ve already finished taping all of the episodes, though it is likely. If she wins the whole thing, chaos will ensue. They’d probably bring back the last two or three contestants to get the boot for a redo of the final, because there isn’t enough PR in the world for her to come back from this. Ask Michael Richards. I’m pretty sure that won’t be the case, though. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if the remaining episodes get a re-edit and we see a lot less Krissi in them than we would have.

Oh, and what about the upcoming Paula Deen episode? It’s a racism bonanza this season on MasterChef!

It’s no surprise that Krissi’s apology came on a week with no new episodes. The producers are likely hoping that the public will forget by the time next week's episodes air.

They can be certain of one thing; MasterChef Theatre won’t forget.

No comments :

Post a Comment